There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

7.10.10

What I'm Watching: "Blade" the trilogy

In this new line of blogs I'll be highlighting the movie (or movies) I've watched recently as sort of mini-reviews for those of you who wish to expand your home-viewing. Not all will be necessarily 'good' movies since I tend to watch anything I haven't seen. Hopefully these posts will be relatively consistent but since I don't do this for a living like some people and am in school, I can't promise anything.

Why I watched it: The "Blade" movies are one of those things you see part of on TV, you know exist, they look sort of cool, but it still takes you a while to get around to it. I didn't have much hope of a 'good' movie, but thought I'd be entertained by the action and Wesley Snipes being cool. That fact that Guillermo Del Toro directed the second film also sparked my interest and the general consensus of internet-movie buffs accept it as the best of the trilogy.

What I thought: It is what it is. "Blade" is based on a Marvel comic (which I have no familiarity with). From the beginning the tone is established as fun and dark. The first two are considerably gory and very bloody, but what else do you expect from a vampire movie? All the characters are one-dimensional and laughable in most cases. Vampires = sleazy and annoying apart from a few badasses, Humans = unintelligent and dumb, Blade = one cool MF. Snipes cannot act to save his life, but that doesn't mean he's not like-able as the half-vamp half-human vampire hunter. The second film is by far the best with the best screenplay and has the best comic book feel. The third has the worst dialogue and everyone is just annoying except Blade. I just think of Stephen Dorff and his portrayal of the stupid villain who isn't menacing AT ALL when I think of the first one.

Why should You watch it (if at all)?: Blade is cool and there's some pretty fun action. It's nice to watch a movie every now and then that just lets loose with the violence and cheesiness and "Blade" (primarily 1 and 2) is exactly that. The plots are comic-book in nature and don't really come off too well on screen, but they at least give you something to follow through the action. So if you have some free-space on your Netflix cue for some action-fun, I'd say you'll enjoy it alright.      

No comments:

Post a Comment