There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

31.8.10

My Fall Movie-Lineup (part 2)

So, at this point in my lineup (mid-October), things are starting to get serious with all sorts of movies vying for Oscar and other awards attention. Basically it's the most exciting time of the year for movies, and sadly, a time when most people don't see movies because of things like SCHOOL which many of us still have the pleasure of being a part of. ANYWAY....

"Nowhere Boy" - October 8th (limited)

I have to admit I do get tired of biographies because they're really not original (unless it's uniquely made like "Bronson") even if they do often have big name actors giving great performances. However, this one looks interesting. I like the idea of just telling the story of the early life of John Lennon without getting into The Beatles. After all, I'm pretty sure most people know enough about The Beatles to last a lifetime. Aaron Johnson ("Kick-Ass") plays young Lennon and Kristin Scott Thomas ("The English Patient") plays his snappy aunt. It's a dramatic turn around from the role of Kick-Ass for Johnson and it looks like he does a pretty good job. Scott Thomas is a great actress as well. So hopefully all these things combined with some good music will make a better than average biography.

"Red" - October 15th

It's often nice to have a break from all the dramatic award winners during Oscar season, and I think "Red" may just be the ticket. Although director Robert Schwentke's last work on "The Time Traveler's Wife" isn't encouraging, I'm hoping the star power of Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Hellen Mirren, and Morgan Freeman will overwhelm his inadequacies. And apparently this is based on a DC comic? Who knew....well I think as long as the characters and action don't resign to cheap stereotypes, this could be a fun ride.

"Monsters" - October 29th

I know it looks like a "District 9" wannabe but I think it'll be better. "District 9" was good and all but I think it got too carried away with the spectacle and action at the end that lost a lot of the 'documentary' style feel and credibility it had before. "Monsters" is about one of NASA's ship things returning with you-know-what aboard and these things infest an area that then becomes quarantined and off limits to anyone. Except these poor people are already in it and have to get out. I hope it sticks with the eerie, intense feel of the trailer rather  than what "District 9" chose to do. Can't wait for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment