There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

5.11.10

Week's Trailers: Complete Chaos

Blitz


It seems to me that Jason Statham is at his best when he's NOT in an American movie. And when he is he's only used for his steely glare and action moves. That isn't to say that he won't be primarily do just that in this new movie, but I do believe it means we can expect a movie with a bit more substance than say, The Expendables. I think this looks pretty sweet and the supporting cast looks good as well which gives me hope that the plot might be just as strong. Crossing my fingers!


Now this would be the oddball of the group for this week's trailers, and I'm quite intrigued while still remaining a bit freaked out. That shot of Santa hanging all tied up was very creepy indeed. It hearkens back to that old Weird Al song about "The Night Santa Went Crazy", you old school kids know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's always been an interesting, funny thought: what if Santa was not the fat, jolly 'ol guy we're so fond of but a mysterious, ruthless being? I'm hoping this will be as dark as the trailer makes it out to be and it will actually be pretty brutal. I like it.



While a lot of people are not too fond of Colin Farrell as an actor, after seeing In Bruges I have a lot more hope for him AND his incredibly expressive eyebrows (seriously, those things are totally bonkers!). But now the plot. Yeah, the whole former bad-guy trying not to be a bad-guy but you know he's going to have to be a bad-guy again sooner or later and there's a girl involved thing has been done quite a lot. But director William Monahan has a pretty good resume of writing 'The Departed' and 'Body of Lies', so that helps a lot that he at least knows how to write some pretty good stories. However, this is his directorial debut, and I have to say it looks and feels like it's going to be quite similar to 'The Departed'. Even Ray Winstone who was in 'Departed' is now the mob boss in this and looks to be playing almost the same character Jack Nicholson portrayed in 'Departed'. But besides the similarities and familiar plot, it still could be better than average and possibly even more.

 

One question: can this look ANY WORSE?? Seriously, Jack Black is THE DUMBEST these days.



So while Zack Snyder may not be my favorite director (understatement) and I still have no idea what exactly is going on here, this does look sort of pretty cool. I used to think this was based on some comic (because it definitely looks like it is) but apparently Snyder co-wrote it. It carries all of Snyder's trade-mark visual effects of lots of green-screen and slo-mo '300'-esque action. But as is always the case with Snyder: will he once again sacrifice things like good acting, script, etc, for the sake of the visuals? Because the whole marketing campaign at this point seems to all about the visuals hence the reason we don't have a clue what's going on in the trailer and who's who. Still, I'll try to withhold judgment from Snyder till I've seen this latest work, and if it's another crashing disappointment like 'Watchmen', my expectations will be dead in the water.



Oh Adam Sandler, you really have become your character from 'Funny People'. I must admit, I was liking the idea of this plot....until the trailer gave the entire thing away. It's another case where no one will probably see this unless they know EXACTLY what they're going to get. And because this movie comes out in February, and because it has Sandler in it and it's a Happy Madison production, I believe I can safely say it's not going to be good.


DUMB, DON'T CARE

No comments:

Post a Comment