There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

1.11.10

What I'm Watching: "Juice"

Paramount Pictures
Why I watched it: Special shout-out here to my friend Claude who let me borrow this because he felt it was a crime that I hadn't seen this incredibly famous work featuring the renowned Tupac Shakur and a supporting cast including Omar Epps. I'd heard of it before but didn't know much save that Samuel L. Jackson had some role in it (even though it's a small one) because Dave Chappelle mentions it in his skit of "Samuel Jackson Beer". So 'Juice' was never really a movie high on my list (sorry Claude), BUT I had the chance to see it, so why not?

What I thought: It's not that bad. It definitely has a different vibe because it's from the early '90's and operates within that culture, but it's still easy to get into. I do wish it would've been a bit more serious and dark. Although it does get kind of dark towards the end, the content and plot devices would've come across a lot more effective if things would've been grittier and more 'on the edge'. Because it lacks a bit in this department, it comes off feeling just a bit silly at times, and it doesn't help that the entire cast isn't that strong. Tupac and Epps do a pretty good job (especially 'Pac), but they can't hold up the entire movie.

Should YOU watch it: If you're an old time 'Pac fan, definitely see it, and if you enjoy '90's movies with this sort of laid back, urban vibe then I'd say you'll enjoy it too. But if it's a more engaging and intense 'in da' hood' (see what I did there? I'm a gangster, yo) story and action you're looking, this may just not cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment