There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

12.11.10

Week's Trailers

Battle: Los Angeles


Say what you want about alien invasion movies (and 'Skyline's miserable 15% on Rottentomatoes), this is a damn good trailer. It's been a long time since I've seen something so well crafted. Of course, from the start with the old photos of possible alien spacecraft and other glimpses at the end, we can tell its aliens. What I like about it though is that the carnage and action almost look like it could be any full scale war movie and not necessarily aliens. Yeah, the epic alien spacecraft and stuff we see in trailers like the one for 'Skyline' (can you tell I'm bitter than it's terrible) is in your face and telling you "ALIENS! BE EXCITED!", but this is something totally different. And the fact that we get no look at any prominent actors such as Aaron Eckhart or Michelle Rodriguez can either be a good thing or a bad thing...that either the studio doesn't think showing famous actors will help gain attention or that they're banking on the spectacle doing the job. I'm hoping Eckhart and Rodriguez and the rest of the cast will do their best but not try to take on the whole focus which seems to be a major weakness of 'Skyline' according to the critics; apparently they spent too much time trying to develop dumb, pointless characters. But no matter how the actual movie turns out to be, this trailer is seriously awesome.

The Chronicles of Narnie: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (trailer #2)


If anything this trailer tells us that every movie trailer needs a kraken! Or whatever that giant sea creature is. And it doesn't hurt to throw in some dragons, minotaurs, glowing ladies, and bouncing hobbits. I just love how this looks like a mash up of every fantasy movie out there (which Narnia pretty much is even though it came before a lot of those fantasy things). Even though I wasn't too fond of the first two films (although the 2nd one was better) I do hope this manages to scrape in enough cash to make another film because I reaaaallly want to see another version of The Silver Chair which is definitely the best book IMO because of Puddleglum. And the perfect, and I mean PERFECT, person to play Puddlegulm is Bill Nighy, obviously. Anyway, my initial reaction to both trailers so far is just 'ho hum'. I really wish I could like it more, but like I said, it just looks like everything else.

(there's a 3rd trailer for Tron: Legacy if anyone isn't excited enough already, I refuse to use up any more of my time on posting all their darn trailers)

Last Night

What I gathered from this is that the conflict is as follows: Keira Knightley trying to decide "which accent do I like better?" Well, maybe it isn't as simple as that, but it's nice to see Sam Worthington trying something where he's not a mute action hero! But sadly, by the looks of this, I'm not sure if it's working out so well for him. All he's got is that accent really...the French guy (Guillermot, or whatever his name is) seems to be beating him in the charisma (personality) category. I just like how this looks like a fairly serious movie with real issues and stuff and they have this upbeat, rock music playing over it that sends the "this summer, get ready for the romantic, feel-good movie of the year!" message. I'm not sure that's how this is gonna go...Whatever, it makes me yawn.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (teaser)

Question: does Jack Black matter any more? Obviously, making a sequel to a movie that made a bunch of $$$$ because it was PG is banking on the fact that it'll make a bunch of $$$$ again, because it's PG. I seriously get so tired of this marketing ploy that works EVERY FRICKEN TIME. No matter what. *sigh*

Well I think there's actually a few other trailers (like 2?) that came out this week (including another Winnie the Pooh movie made with the old style animation!) that I don't care much about. Not that I care about Kung Fu Panda 2, I just wanted to make you suffer. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment