There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

9.7.13

What I'm Watching: Pitch Perfect

Universal Pictures
Why I watched it: it was on HBOGO and I had heard good things about it! Don't get me wrong, it totally sounds like something I would never watch in a million years and altogether too much like Glee or some other nonsense like that. But, Anna Kendrick is a good actress and friends of mine who I consider to have something like a good taste in movies seemed to really enjoy it. So what the heck, I didn't feel like going to sleep early last night, so I decided to spend almost 2 hours watching this before bed.

What I thought: First of all, I want to get my #1 beef with this movie out of the way before I talk about the good stuff: I don't care what universe you come from or who you are, a cappella singing groups are not cool. Somehow, everyone who goes to this college where Beca (Kendrick) is a Freshman thinks that the a cappella groups are the coolest kids around. And let me tell you, this could not be further from the truth. And this isn't because I don't value musical talent! I consider myself somewhat of a singer and have a considerable background in piano playing and musical performances. But a cappella? Nope! That being said, Pitch Perfect is really entertaining! It's legitimately funny and the singing is actually fun to listen to! I guess this is another beef I have with it though is that live a cappella does not sound anywhere close to as good as these obviously studio-recorded people do. Of course, this film has the cliche tale of a band of misfit, underdog types who join together to try and take down the bad, popular kids at school and win the championship. Basically your stereotypical sports movie plot but with singing instead. However, the cliche-ness (a word I made up, whatever) of it didn't really bother me because all the characters are entertaining and well-played. Especially the character of "Fat" Amy, played by Rebel Wilson. Over all, Pitch Perfect revels in its stereotypical format while at the same time managing to deliver a really good time.

Should you watch it: I think you know right off the bat if this kind of movie is for you. Then again, I didn't think it would be, but I still enjoyed it. And I am usually the type who watches nothing but dark, violent, complex, psychological dramas and thrillers. Which is maybe why I enjoyed this one because I needed a break from all that? Who knows! All I know is that I was pleasantly surprised, so add this one to your next visit to Redbox or order from Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment