There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

1.7.10

My Summer picks (for what's left of it)

So here we are, the beginning of July. Summer has about two more good months (sorry if that's not enough), and unfortunately, we haven't seen much. Yeah, Toy Story 3 was good and everything else was "ok" or terrible. When's the good stuff coming, those summer blockbusters we can count on to not only be popcorn entertainment, but actually decent? Well, I've taken it upon myself to comprise a list, in chronological order, of the ones I think you should keep an eye out for. But always have the other eye on rottentomatoes.com just to be sure. OK, here we go.

Predators (July 9th)
I'm assuming everyone's seen Predator so you know what I'm talking about and what this movie will be like. Predator 2 was alright but the AVP's sucked. I'm really hoping they can get this one right and it looks like they will. Nimrod Antel, director of the foreign film Kontroll which is basically a foreign Fight Club, has a lot of promise and with producer Robert Rodriguez (Desperado) behind him, I have faith. Not to mention we have Adrien Brody, Laurence Fishburne, Topher Grace, Danny Trejo, and a few others playing the valiant killers/warriors dropped on the predators' planet to do battle with the legendary creatures. Should be dark, violent, and hopefully fantastic. Definitely see this one.

Inception (July 16th)
So this one is hands-down my most anticipated movie of the summer and of many others as well. Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight) has taken a break from the Batman franchise to create this little mind bender about the world of dreams with Leonardo Decaprio heading the cast but he has a strong backing of Ellen Page (Juno), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 Days of Summer), Cillina Murphy (Batman Begins) and others. Nolan has never failed to deliver and is an utterly brilliant filmmaker. His expertise in film revolves around psychological twists and themes that are usually a bit more subtle, but it seems he's going all out with Inception by invading dreams. I'll be in line at midnight for this one.



Dinner for Schmucks (July 30th)
Now this one is a bit different because I've actually seen the French film this is based on called Dinner for Assholes (rough translation). I watched it in French class (thought it was decently funny), and now am not surprised to find that Hollywood has decided to steal the idea. However, I'm not upset by this because Jay Roach, the director of The Hangover, is helming while we have a cast of Paul Rudd (playing an ordinary businessman as usual), Steve Carell, and Zach Galifinakis (in a more minor role, I think). The plot involves Rudd being promoted to the big time which means he gets to consort with the big bosses and also get invited to their special dinners where they take joy in inviting random idiots they meet to make fun of them and compare these said fellows. Naturally, Rudd finds Carell, a very strange, stupid person indeed. And it escalates from there. I think it could be funny considering the cast, plot, and Roach's guidance. I'll see it.

(one that may be deceiving) The Other Guys (August 6th)
So I'm really on the border with this one, but I still have my hopes up. Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg star as two desk job cops who never get to see any action but look up to and marvel at big time, badass cops like Dwayne Johnson and Samuel Jackson's characters. Naturally, Farrell and Wahlberg get some sort of lead and take matters in to their own hands and all hell breaks loose. Supported by the likes of Steve Coogan (Hamlet 2), Eva Mendes, and Michael Keaton, and with Adam McKay directing (Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, Anchorman), I have some hope. However, the trailer doesn't look too different from failures like Copout. I really wish Farrell could be as funny as he used to be and Wahlberg could do something as good as I Heart Huckabees again. Bu we'll see. I'll be watching Rotten Tomatoes for this one.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (August 13th)

I feel a bit out of the loop here on this one since it's based a fairly popular comic series but I'm still excited. We have Michael Cera playing an awkward teen like he always does and he spots a girl who he instantly falls in love with. Eventually she concedes but also lets him know that he must defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends played by a smattering of actors like Chris Evans (Sunshine, Fantastic Four, and the future Captain America), Brandon Routh (Superman Returns), and Jason Schwartzman (Funny People, Darjeeling Limited). Not only does the trailer for this make it look pretty cool and exciting, it's directed by Edgar Wright, the man behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Based on this lineup and everyone's resumes, count me in.

The Expendables (August 13th)

This one is more just for fun, really. I don't expect it to be actually that "good" in all respects to the word, but it still could be pretty damn cool. First of all, we have the action-hero lineup of a lifetime. Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, Steve Austin, Bruce Willis, Randy Couture, and Arnold Schwarzenegger (although I think he has more of cameo). In this tale we have Stallone leading a team of mercenaries (with the majority of the said actors) to South America to take out a dictator, but I'm sure it ends up being a bit more complicated than that. I'm excited for this one mostly because it'd be fun to see all these people in a movie together but also because I actually really enjoyed myself when I saw Rambo 4 which Stallone also directed. My hope is that it'll be just as ridiculously violent and unrealistic so I don't have to care about much except to just have a good time.

Centurion (August 27th)

I'm not sure how many theaters this will open up to, but if it is anywhere near you, see it. Early buzz on this was mostly positive regarding it's intensity, cool scenery, and action of course. In this sword and sandals tale we have a Roman legion set out into the desolate lands of the barbaric British Isles (otherwise known as England) only to be ambushed and routed by the said barbarians. Now only seven men remain with Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, 300) acting as leader trying to fulfill the dying wish of his general to get the rest of the legion back home. If he can escape the pursuing barbarians lead by a silent, menacing tracker played by Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace). Directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent, Doomsday), we can expect plenty of blood and guts from this one. I just hope it's really fun and exciting and doesn't try to do much more than a good 'ol chase movie. Except across mountains and through forests.

And that's it for now, I'll have another lineup ready for the beginning of September through November in which we'll have plenty of potential award winners and nominees.

No comments:

Post a Comment