There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." - Magnolia

9.10.10

What I'm Watching: "From Paris with Love"

Europa Corp.

Why I watched it: I've just been in the mood for action movies recently. On top of that, I just wanted to see what John Travolta was like in this. Luc Besson ("The Professional") produced and wrote the story it's based on and Pierre Morel (Taken) directed it. Besson is known for his over-the-top action movies and Morel's "Taken" was fairly enjoyable. So I figured I could count on some entertaining action at least.

What I thought: I was actually surprised. Of course there's not a really detailed plot and you're kind of just thrown into the situation but it doesn't feel too bad. Jonathan Rhys Meyers (apart from having really creepy eyes) is likeable and a decent actor. Travolta's character is ridiculous for sure, but he's obviously supposed to be that way and he's not THAT annoying. And the plot was actually surprisingly entertaining and not terrible. It's not really believable, naturally, but it provides some cool action and things keep moving. The ending is, sadly, the worst part but it's not awful. It's all basically a more tame version of Training Day.

Should YOU see it: I'd say this is another one of those movies that is just fun to watch and could be put in your Netflix cue for some lazy day where you don't feel like doing anything. It's short, moves quickly, and definitely isn't anything unique, but it's better than a lot of stupid action flicks out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment